18 November 2006

I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life....oh, just to be with you...

I first heard Dido's "Thank You" when I went to see the film Sliding Doors in the theatre in 1998. Not only is it one of my favourite films of the last 10 years, the soundtrack caught my ear immediately and I rushed out to buy it practically the next day. It probably is one of the best around and has set a tone for many films that followed. One of the things that makes it so great is that all the music used was relevant and appropriate - not incidental, and distracting so as to create a 'music video' feel in the middle of the film, something many Directors are guilty of doing these days. There is a fine line I realize and it's easy to be indulgent and to cross over into gratuitous song placement - something Director Peter Howitt is never guilty of. Also very cool is that he chose some lesser known Artists (Dido made her mark because of this film) to help tell the story; Space Monkey's, Peach Union, The Brand New Heavies and Abra Moore fill out the rest of the roster that includes Aimee Mann and Elton John. All together it's an amazing collection of diverse and energetic music that compels one to check out these newer artists (I eagerly searched for Dido's album which hadn't even been released in the U.S. at the time of the film) and revisit some old favourites. I urge you not only to see the film, if you haven't already, but to check this batch of tunes out.

As some of you know, the years 2000 and 2001 were the most difficult in my life. I lost my Mother, my Grandmother, my Grandfather, and a close friend of mine was brutally murdered. Since then my life, as can only happen when everything goes wrong, has vastly improved, though the pain of these losses is with me every day - especially felt during the Holiday Season. So I wanted to take this moment, as I get ready to go camping in Bryce Canyon Utah before Turkey Day (hence the early posting) to thank the people who have made a difference in my life during and since those difficult years - aside from my family who already know how awesome they are. These are the folks that are not blood family, but will always be special to me and close to my heart, each of whom inspired me in ways I can never express. While to perfect strangers who might be reading this these names will mean nothing to you, please know they mean everything to me and are the reason I am able to get up in the morning and 'carry on' if you will. In no particular order: My beloved Best Friend, Fritz; my beloved, Boo; my 'Dude' Phineas; Jodi; Joanna; my Bee-Atch, Courtney; Maria; My excellent friend & Co-Producer, Rebecca; My "I'm not your bleeding Aunt" Aunt; and My dearest Suz. There are more, but I think you all get the point. As you sit down thursday, enjoying a delectable feast, take a moment to be especially grateful for those in your life, because you never know when they might save it. I know am.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone, be safe, be happy, and be good....

Thanks for tuning in...Until next Monday...CHEERS!!

No comments: