15 January 2007

If I should live forever, and all my dreams come true, my memories of love will be of you…

When Placido Domingo starts singing the words to "Perhaps Love“ on the CD of the same name, released in 1981 and Produced by Milton Okun, it’s hard to imagine that the songwriter was the late John Denver. However, when Mr. Denver chimes in a verse later the picture becomes complete. The combination of the operatic depth of Mr.Domingo and mountain air feel of Mr. Denver while at first is shocking ends up making sense. The interplay between the two voices is refreshing, warm, and incredibly touching. They balance one another and give the words and production a range that few songs possess. With the acoustic guitar sounds combining gently with the orchestral one gets the feeling that the integrity of every note is cherished and loved. Once you get over the amazement of what you are hearing you know it’s a John Denver tune as it is true John Denver - romantic, hopeful and thought provoking.

"Perhaps Love is like a resting place, a shelter from the storm, it exists to give you comfort it is there to keep you warm and in those times of trouble when you are most alone the memory of love will bring you home… …like a fire when it’s cold outside, thunder when it rains, if I should live forever and all my dreams come true my memories of love will be of you…“

One would be remiss not to mention the rest of the CD. It may be the original Opera meets Pop/Folk production. All of the songs interplay the two genres, although there is only one other John Denver song – a remake of "Annie’s Song“. All in all this CD lays the groundwork for later artists such as Josh Groban and if you like him – check out the original!

It was 7 years ago this week that my Mother passed away unexpectedly. It feels like yesterday and to be honest, there are times when I still feel I want to call her and ask her advice. Last week when all Hell was breaking loose with Phineas – he’s better now, thankfully – I needed my Mom. I’ll always need her. I don’t think we ever loose that feeling – no matter how many years pass. "Perhaps Love“ was one of her all time favourite songs and CD’s. The only time she ever saw me perform (after my days dancing on the sidewalk at 69th and Columbus) was at a High School talent show. I surprised her by performing "Perhaps Love“ with a friend of mine. I looked out to the audience a verse in and she was beaming with pride as tears gently caressed her face. I’ll never forget that moment and the feeling that if I should live forever and all my dreams come true – my memories of love will be of her.

Thanks for tuning in….Until next Monday…NASDROVIA!

No comments: