01 January 2007

We drank a toast to innocence, we drank a toast to time…reliving in our eloquence of another Old Lang Syne…..

If you were awake in the late 70’s and/or most of the 80’s than you know that Dan Fogelberg is the quintessential Adult Contemporary artist of that time. With songs such as the above mentioned “Old Lang Syne” (played often around this time of year) and the unforgettable “Longer” (a wedding standard in the 80’s) and his “Leader Of The Band” – an homage to his High School Bandleader father, this gold and platinum selling singer-songwriter has touched on a wide range of topics and done so with a sweet soul, a slightly rough voice, and a sweet sound. As with many fine songwriters, he draws from his life and makes the stories accessible and likable.

It amazes me, as I listen to his CD Live: Greetings From The West, how many of these songs I remember hearing on the radio in the 80’s. He was everywhere! He was also heard in my house – he was one of my Mother’s favourite singers from that time. I have to say – though you only hear him on those “Lite FM” stations these days, his perspective is timeless. Which, if music is any good – it IS timeless and transcends the trends of the morning, and continues to offer a voice that begs not to be forgotten. There is a sensitivity to this guy that I think was rare in the 80’s. While I listened, and still listen to, the likes of The Cure, Kate Bush, OMD and others, I like sitting back and chilling out and letting my emotions run their course. It’s easy to do when you hear this guy. “You said to be patient and give you some room, you said you had changes you need to work through, but the longer I wait the farther I feel from you, I’m so lonely in love, why must I be lonely in love?...” Jesus!!! I think it takes a lot of courage to write something that bare and truthful, and then release it as a single.

How many times have you dreamed of running into your ex on Christmas Eve and sharing a few beers in a car and hearing that they are miserable? It’s a cool story of Old Lang Syne and while it’s reminiscent of Harry Chapin’s “Taxi” (and the Sequel) he tells the story with a cleaner and less gritty perspective, somewhat matter of factly, but yet still with a longing and wonderment we can all identify with – a more romantic touch, if you will. “As I turned to make my way back home the snow turned into rain….” And just as he sings that you hear the notes from the classic “Auld Lang Syne”. It’s a timeless song. If you want to revisit this guy, I highly recommend you check out this Live CD, he really can play, sing and he has a great band backing him up. It was released in 1991 and truly is a greatest hits stew of songs you know and a few you may not be as familiar with.

So I can’t say we drank any toasts to innocence last night – Boo came back on Saturday sick only to find me sick - a hell of a way to start the New Year and a hell of a way spend our first days together after a month apart. Oh Well. I have been reminded that ‘sick in bed’ is how we have spent the last few New Years together. Though this is the first time where I’m not the only patient. OY.

It was a good trip home and I’m glad I went. Cate was surprised to see her favourite Aunt show up Christmas morning, albeit slightly hung over from the Eve’s festivities at an Italian restaurant in the Bronx that makes the most amazing Martini’s (besides my own). While we only had a couple of hours together before she whisked away to Daddy’s, it was time well spent! On Wednesday Me, Sis and Fritz went to the Berkshires, my other favourite place on the planet, to see our dear friend Lauren and her daughter Catherine – my 2nd favourite niece. While I didn’t get to drive the Mini this time, we, along with Lauren’s brother Scott, all went to my long time love, The Red Lion, a hotel, restaurant, and downstairs pub in Stockbridge where I’d spent some fine afternoons of my early adulthood with my other “Brother”, Hank, (wish you were there!) and his father. It was great to be there – thinking of Hank’s parents who are buried nearby and to whom I always give a special toast/nod when I’m back in that area. It’s a special place for so many reasons and it really makes me feel at home to be there and to have most of us together. It gave me a lot to think about as far as what I want for the New Year, how I want to spend my time on this earth, and where. It was a poetic moment when as we got in the car to turn back to Connecticut it had been snowing, lightly, and as we headed south it turned to rain……..

While I have no idea what comes next, and I don’t do resolutions, I do have a feeling that things will change, life will move forward, the Demo/EP will be finished, and as my dear Suz told me – they have a saying in Scotland – “What’s for ya, won’t pass by ya”. Words to live by I’d say.

Thanks for tuning in….Until next Monday….CHEERS!!! and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (Go Michigan!!!)

No comments: