30 June 2008

Home is where I want to be, Pick me up and turn me ‘round…






Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me ‘round
I feel numb - burn with a weak heart
(so I) guess I must be having fun
The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground
Head in the sky
It's ok I know nothing's wrong . . nothing

Hi you I got plenty of time
Hi you you got light in your eyes
And you're standing here beside me
I love the passing of time
Never for money
Always for love
Cover up and say goodnight . . . say goodnight

Home - is where I want to be
But I guess I’m already there
I come home - she lifted up her wings
Guess that this must be the place
I can't tell one from another
Did I find you, or you find me?
There was a time before we were born
If someone asks, this where I’ll be . . . where I’ll be

Hi you we drift in and out
Hi you sing into my mouth
Out of all those kinds of people
You got a face with a view
I'm just an animal looking for a home
Share the same space for a minute or two
And you love me till my heart stops
Love me till I’m dead
Eyes that light up, eyes look through you
Cover up the blank spots
Hit me on the head ah ooh

(courtesy of lyricsfreak.com)

Whether you prefer the original, fast paced Talking Heads version of “This Must Be The Place” (from Speaking In Tongues) or Shawn Colvin’s more mellow, thoughtful take (from Cover Girl and one that she has performed solo/live as well) there is no arguing that this is one of the best tunes of the last too many years. While each version is vastly different the sentiment and the words remain the same – pain, longing, universal heartache and a desire to find that place where we feel whole and loved. It was not something I really expected to hear from David Byrne – but veiled in a fast beat and thin electric guitars it’s easy to miss the sentimental meaning. That’s where Shawn Colvin comes in. Her take on the song (I first heard her perform it at the late great Bottom Line in the early ‘90’s) illustrates the softer side of the lyrics and the more emotional breadth of the melody.

One of the things I find most interesting about music is how production values can change a song. “This Must Be The Place” is a perfect example of this. One the one hand you have a new wave dance song on another you have a sweet folk song. Both are relevant and both can speak to the ever changing moods of a person. Maybe, in fact, they speak to different sides of the brain. The more measured dance version I liken to a left brain experience – and the folky one – a more right brain emotional purging of sorts. These are the kinds of complexity’s that make me enjoy producing music. Most songs start off the same way – a guitar or piano being banged on with words waiting to pour out onto a page. You play around and play around and try to figure out the ‘voice’ of the song when it’s done. Is it fast? Slow? Middle of the road finger picking deal? Or is it straight out strumming with certain purpose? You go through all of this only to maybe change your mind when it comes to getting into the studio. Suddenly someone else hears the song a different way and wants to take it in a new direction. Choices, decisions, days later and you have Talking Heads or Shawn Colvin. I think it’s one of the coolest things about making music, you can take it anywhere, land anywhere and start again.

Do yourself a favour and listen to these two versions back to back – your eyes will open – your ears will get a jolt and you’ll be glad you did. Look for them on itunes! In case you’re wondering my favourite lyrics from the song are: “I can't tell one from another, Did I find you, or you find me?” They get me every time! ENJOY!

As I’m sure you can guess I’m feeling a little homesick right now. This is the first time since my niece Cate was born in 2003 that I haven’t been home in June. It feels weird and I honestly wonder with flights getting so expensive when I’ll get home again. Will it be me pulling up in the driveway loaded up with my crap after a cross country drive? Or will it be me landing at a local airport and hopping into my best friend’s car? It’s so hard to know and in some ways it really bums me out. As I’ve come to really enjoy living in my very cool neighbourhood in Los Angeles, the time away from my loved ones is getting harder to take. I know, I know, if I really want to go I’ll find a way…but it’s not always so easy when your main source of income is based in one of two cities and you have another person to consider. One of the things that makes L.A. so great is the presence of Abby and a few others. But is it enough? Right now it is and who knows what job lies ahead that may keep me here. As icky as it might sound – sometimes you have to stay where the money is until such time you free yourself from the financial ties that bind. It’s one of the hard things about life without a trust fund – money buys freedom and ou can never have enough of that.

For now I’ll gaze longingly at my pictures from my last trip home – miss the people in those pictures and hope that soon “you're standing here beside me, I love the passing of time, Never for money, Always for love, Cover up and say goodnight . . . say goodnight……..”

Thanks for tuning in….until next time….CHEERS!!! and have a safe 4th of July!

No comments: